Friday, March 7, 2014

Why Not?

I like to think that every good story starts with a bad decision. Recently I decided that I needed to get out of the house, and stay out. I packed up the panniers with some camping gear and set out for a short little "staycation". The forecast was clear so I left the shelter at home, planning to sleep out under the clear sky. That was my bad decision.

The day started out real nice, although I got started much later than planned.
South face of the Nutt.
The riding was pleasant and I was checking out some roads that I hadn't gotten to ride yet.
Cub Run is good times.
Darkness was creeping up on me like it does every day, so I decided to make camp. Without a shelter it was really just a kitchen set up and dinner. We got some new camping gear at the shop, so I thought I would try something new and used the Esbit solid fuel.  I hope it works better above freezing temperatures. I'll give it another try in the Spring.
Yeah, I timed how long it took to boil water. 
With a full stomach and the sun down I retired to my sleeping bag and counted stars until I couldn't. More than a few fell from the sky while I watched. I fell into sleep under a clear sky as advertised by all of the weathermen that were consulted. 
Somewhere around midnight my bladder insisted that I get up. Good thing too, because just as I tucked myself back into my little cocoon of warmth, the first hints of snow appeared. Little kisses of precipitation on my face, tickling me. My gut saying, "This is just the beginning". I jumped up, got everything back on the bike just as the flurry developed into a full blown snowstorm. Visibility was near zero in the dark of night with big fat flakes falling and the headlight on my bike doing nothing but illuminating the white wall in front of me. It reminded me of this.
I wasn't going this fast. But I was feeling like a Wookie.
I rolled right to the end of Cub Run at Catherine Furnace and stopped.If you have never been here and have no idea what Catherine Furnace is check this out. And here is a picture that I did not take.
 I quickly scouted out the driest of the four openings and climbed in. It was just big enough for me. If I had been any taller I would not have fit and I would have been covered in snow by morning. Instead I slept the night through and woke to find this beautiful snowfall.
View from my hidey hole.
After packing up, I ended up riding the rest of the day, breaking trail and going slow. It was a great ride, and I plan on riding it again this summer but in a single day.
Moreland Gap

Top of the valley.
So as I've been writing this I wondered if there was a moral to any of this. I love riding and adventure because of the lessons I learn from the world. I thought, "The lesson was, be prepared and bring a shelter", but it's not. If I had done that I would have woken up under my tarp covered in snow, with less story to tell. I think the lesson was to take chances, and move out of my comfort zone. Every now and then life gets to feeling routine and common. A quick trip like this goes a long way towards recharging the batteries. I sure felt alive afterward and grateful for all of the synchronicity that got me home.

I know lots of you have adventures to share, what was a "bad decision" you made? Share in the comments if you will...

1 comment: