Monday, April 21, 2014

Rough Roubaix

Backed by confidence gained on Georgia gravel, I decided to ride in the Rough Roubaix last Saturday to test my skills on some Virginia/West Virginia rock roads. The turnout for the ride was great, and our group of 50+ riders rolled out of town toward Dayton at 9 a.m. We started the day off with some close-to-home gravel, ending up in Stokesville. After battling a headwind through Briery Branch and on North River Road, it was a relief to refuel at the Stokesville aid station before heading into the second stretch. Once in the George Washington National Forest, the course forked to take either the 90/114 mile loop or the 52 mile loop. I turned up the road for the longer ride, and climbed and descended Shenandoah Mountain into West Virginia. Many a "rough" road, either dirt or gravel, put everyone's endurance to the test. Sore seats and sore legs were complaining, but spirits stayed high in the 60 degree weather. New friends and good conversation helped me pedal all day, and having a few people to work with on the windy stretch to Brandywine, WV was extremely helpful. Once I reached Aid Station 2 at mile 60, I decided to not continue on to the 114 mile loop, but to come back to Virginia via Rt. 33. A long climb and long descent followed by a few more gravel detours and the backside of Mole Hill took me back to Harrisonburg to finish the ride - it took me seven hours total. It was an awesome course, and I hope to do the full 114 mile loop next year. Thank you Chris Scott/Shenandoah Mountain Touring for another great event!


No comments:

Post a Comment