Saturday, June 14, 2014

Big Weekends Make Better Slummers

I'm a fan of big ride weekends, and PTD (post-tour-depression) after the four day long Giro d' Ville a few weeks ago urged me to slum hard again this past weekend.

SVBC Time Trial Thursday - I was the only woman to show, but had a great time competing with the boys. The trial was on Buffalo Drive along Interstate 81. Very windy and a lot more climbing than I remembered! It was only about 20 minutes of my hardest effort, but definitely tiring.

The turn-around at the end of Buffalo Drive during the SVBC Time Trial.

Friday Fatty Group Ride - If you haven't joined us on the Fatty group ride, you're missing out. We leave SBC at 3:00 pm on Friday afternoons for a 3-5 hour party pace ride. Nobody gets dropped, everybody has fun. We went to Massanutten to pre-ride some of the Enduro and Hoo-Ha courses last week. SBC's computer guru Peter showed us all up on some rock-tech with his trials moves, and we got to hang out with Sue Haywood at the top of Kaylor's Knob.

SMT Enduro Saturday - My first Enduro experience solidified my want of a baggy-short, POC helmet, six-inch travel lifestyle. I got to race with some fast ladies, and experiment with a new type of bike racing. Being used to longer, endurance-testing races made it hard to adapt to immediate out-of-the-gate sprinting for multiple stages all under 30 minutes. I wrecked quite a few times, mostly due to my poor containment of nerves and not being mean enough to the guys in front of me that I needed to pass. The scrapes, bruises, and having to kick it up hills and on flats left me increasingly exhausted and worthless towards the end of the day. I channeled my father's stubborn rage and the motto "if you're not pedaling, you're not winning" into my runs, and managed second place to Sue Haywood.

The Women's podium.
Ellen Kasiske, 3rd place, moving too fast for the camera!

Massanutten Hoo Ha XC Race Sunday - Tired legs, arms, back, etc. after the Enduro the day before depleted my motivation and excitement for the XC race at the Hoo Ha greatly. Pedaling around before the start was a chore, and I was intimidated by the number of women in my category. On the start line, my nerves picked up and the caffeine gel I choked down a few minutes earlier started kicking in. I was able to keep the fast ladies in sight during the two mile prologue, and keep a steady pace throughout the first lap. I was able to ride with a lot of people in the Sport category, who only had to ride one race lap, which was fun and motivating to keep up the pace. The second lap, however, was lonely and soul-crushing. Two ladies in my category caught me towards the top of the climbing section, which boosted my mental game and motivated me enough to hold them off through the technical and downhill sections. I finished fourth in the Pro/Expert category, which I am extremely happy with after such a huge weekend and being so exhausted before the start.

The start line for the Women's Pro/Expert category.
Women's Pro/XC podium.
Kelly Paduch ripping it on the berms.

Susie coming in hot.

My favorite kinds of weekends are the ones that remind you of how brutal they were for the entire next week. Three days later and I'm still fatigued! Can't wait for the next weekend of super slum.


No comments:

Post a Comment