Monday, June 2, 2014

Stuff we all know.

On Sunday, I was invited on a mountain bike ride of considerable size that was to take place the following day.  We planned to leave early to give ourselves plenty of time, which meant I needed to ready my bike and pack my supplies the night before.  I packed ride clothes, food, water, tools, flat fixin's, a derailleur hanger, a spare chain link - anything my bike might need over the day.  I ate enough dinner and hydrated as best I could.  I felt a little nervous like always before a big ride and talked myself out of bailing at least once before getting to bed early.

I am prone to pre-ride, usually unfounded jitters and have trained myself to cast off self-doubt and soldier on with internal mantras like everything will be fine, and it's just a bike ride.  I am rarely prepared for the worst-case scenario because I discard it as an impossibility to belittle the risk and maintain a level of comfort with the ride ahead.  I won't get lost.  My friends know the way.  I won't get hurt.  My friend's will make sure I get back home safe.  These ideas are true, but not excuses to be less than prepared to deal with the real dangers inherent in riding one's bike fast on challenging terrain in a remote location.

Monday morning came and we went to the woods.  Part way down the ridge after a humid climb surrounded by nettles, we rolled into the first sustained descent of the day.  I was the second of three and hot on the tail of the leader.  I was only bike-lengths behind when a tank trap sent him flying to land on his front wheel, then face.  Our third rolled up, unloaded his med kit, and began administering first aid.  We coasted to the nearest road, pedaled to the car, and headed back to town seeking medical attention.  Everybody is fine if not a bit sore.

This is what I learned:

Carry first aid.  It doesn't need to be fancy.  We all carry the basic bits to fix our bikes and avoid hiking off the mountain.  Similarly, carry the basic bits to fix yourself or your friends and avoid being stuck on the mountain.  Adventure Medical Kits are available at SBC and info on how to use them can be found in any number of books or websites.

Carry a map.  If you don't know the trail and it's interaction with the trails and roads nearby, carry your map.  Just like on an airplane, it is crucial to know where you are and what the closest exit is in case of emergency.  Again, Trails Illustrated maps of the area are available at SBC.

This is stuff we all know is a good idea, but doesn't actually apply to us.  This is stuff many of us should practice more.  Maybe I am betraying my relative inexperience, but I bet I'm not the only one who goes into the woods less than prepared.  Thank goodness somebody else was.

No comments:

Post a Comment