Saturday, January 17, 2015

My Life in Socks


My Life in Socks


Anyone can tell you in the shop that socks are a great investment. When you put so many miles into intensively riding each week, you want something that won't crap out on you. 

Fabric that fits well, doesn't rub the wrong way and keeps your feet dry are a must.



Since your feet don't physically hit the ground when you cycle and your ankles stay in a relatively stagnant position, blood can sometimes not circulate properly in your feet. This can expand the size of your feet in uncomfortable ways and make cycling painful. 

However, good socks have applications even outside of cycling. I did not explore the full potential of a good clean wool sock until I started travelling.

  
  

Two years ago, I got the opportunity to go to Alaska. The trip itself was AMAZING, but between biking from Canada to the US, hiking, glacier walking, and multiple plane rides, my feet went up an entire half shoe size!

I had this same issue in Dominica this past year, when I traveled there for 10 days for a service trip.
         

So, for my grand adventure to Iceland this summer with my family, I decided it was time for a change. I splurged on two pairs of wool socks and it was worth it!


    

I rode a horse, learned what a fjord was, traversed glaciated mountains, and saw volcanic activity all with size 9 woman's feet (not a swollen size 10). I definitely know what to pack for my next adventure.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment