Sunday, January 11, 2015

Winter time exploring...At a cross roads!!

View from the Wild Oak Trail...Mountains for Miles and Miles!

When temperatures hit single digits, I explore the depths of the National Forest.   Winter is my time to get off trail, see things I won't see from my bike. A time to dream about future two wheel fun. Plus, nothing heats you like crawling on the forest floor or slipping on 60degree side hill, hoping you don't fall again!

At a cross roads!
With a Forest Service deadline for flagging some new trail options approaching fast I found the time and weather right to do some needed last minute ribbon hanging.  This was also a great opportunity to get my 13 year old woods dog out for some running, she is also my safety net if shit hits the fan.

The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition is looking at some potential large trail projects on the Wild Oak Trail. One of these projects would include a reroute of the steep eroded section on Dowell's Draft. The new proposed route will be a great addition to one of the finest downhills in the GW. But before any of this can happen the Forest Service will send out the Biologist and Archeologist to make sure we are not disturbing the remains of Big Foot or some old ancient burial ground.  I have yet to find either during my many off trail hikes in the GW National Forest but I have seen spectacular views, great rock outcroppings and places that just scream out, Trail, Trail, Trail! 2015 and 2016 might have some great new trail options coming to a forest near you!

The beginning of a great descent...to only get better

No comments:

Post a Comment