Wednesday, September 9, 2015

C&O Canal

   I sat adjacent to a Chevy S10 pickup missing a side view mirror slugging water from a Honest Tea bottle. However, I was lying to myself. I didn't really want to go at first. Downing 64-plus ounces of water in your body in attempts to battle 95-plus degree heat at 6 p.m. isn't usually my ideal 'day off.'

   Mile marker 59 is where I began my adventure on the C&O Canal. It was a party of one, me and of course my bike.

   I woke up near Harper's Ferry to the constant sound of rain. After confirming the wet conditions, I traveled into town with my friend, Chris to get breakfast at a local diner. After some heartburn and excess sodium intake we made our way to a clear-skied Frederick, MD where I visited the newly-opened Gravel & Grind. They specialize in steel bikes and pour over coffee. Needless to say I was in heaven.

   The day slowly crept away before 5 p.m. appeared on my watch and I still hadn't left. I was having such a good time in good company while escaping the 97 degrees that lingered beyond the roaring sound of a window AC unit. I had to get on the trail. It was what I came here for.

   By 6 p.m. I was finally rolling after having ferociously hydrated pre-ride. I made it to around Mile 40 headed south when I met Grev, a middle-aged, shirtless hairy fellow who was on his way back from Harper's Ferry. He was an interesting guy, cryptic to a degree, everything but indirect. We decided to camp together at mile 30, a safe spot where he had camped the night before.

Any camping trip with me ensures the freshest coffee
one may consume in the woods. Freshly Red Rooster
grounds were enjoyed on the banks of the Potomac. 
   Dinner consisted of canned seafood, Twizzlers and water treated with iodine. We sat next to the Potomac River and enjoyed the natural sounds until bedtime.

  Sunday morning's wake up consisted of a woman discussing the day's forecast.

   "I heard on the news it's going to be the hottest day of the year in DC," she said to a man.

   This left me with a big decision: continue the 30-plus miles into DC and 60 back to Harper's Ferry or just turn back now and play it safe. I went for it. I'd never willingly taken on the challenge of 90-plus miles, especially with a 95-degree forecast.

    A pit stop- in Great Falls around mile 15 yielded great eye candy and a fresh perspective on my challenging day ahead. Grev and I were on a party pace by the time we made it into Georgetown. Around mile four of the C&O, he directed us off the path onto the Crescent Trail which led us right onto Water St.

   Our first stop was Revolution Cycles where we both bought t-shirts solely for purpose of dry clothes. He then treated me lunch by the water before we departed ways. He was scheduled for 15 more miles back home while I was slated for roughly 68 back to Harper's Ferry.

   After stocking up on convenience store foods, I departed the city around 3 p.m.. I was aiming roughly 12 miles per hour which would get me back around 8:30, just by sunset. I didn't have lights so this was pretty important to chase the sun.

   It was hot, even in the shaded cover of trees along the path. The exposed sections proved that the feat would not have been possible without the covered path.
My view for much of the weekend. After heavy rainstorms early in the weekend, the trail was caked with mud. 
View of the bike rack at Great Falls (Mile 15) where we pedaled
with some cool dudes from Maryland. 
Surly Cross Check, not a truly dedicated touring bike
when it comes to gearing, but it sports all the necessary eyelets
 and components fora god rig.  


Cruising Georgetown before hopping back on the trail. 

Who needs a stem bag when you can use your
 Teva's as a collar for snack bags?!

A panoramic of my campsite with water supply at mile 26

Great falls: the best scenic spot to check out (mile 15) on the southern end of the C&O
If the adventure wasn't complete after a 96-mile day, a 1/2 mile hike back to my
car on the AT capped off an amazing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment