Monday, November 23, 2015

Winter Dreaming

No matter what, the rocks will need to be negotiated.
Winter is the time for dreaming. For my kids it is the dream of what Santa might bring to them if they are good, for me the dream of future trails raps my brain during the winter. With so much of last winter's  time being consumed by flagging the upcoming SVBC RTP grant projects west of town, this winter my mind and body will be exploring the western slopes of Massanutten. For years the western slope's southern boundry was Del Web Drive, then the 2K trail redefined the southern trail limits. Well, let me tell you, 2K is just the beginning of the southern future of the Massanutten trail system.


I have been exploring the area between the Massanutten overlook and Massanutten Peak for the past year. The next few months will hopefully begin the details of trail design. Folks always ask me how do I design trails, well I go about it the old school way of just getting on the ground and exploring. Instead of laying out a design on a map I like wonder the terrain with an open mind, looking for the magical natural elements that could define a trail, think of  Leigton Overlook, the big rock at the bottom of Lairds Nose, the beer cave on 2K, all areas found by just exploring.  These magical areas become dots, then more dots are flagged, then before you know it you are connecting enough dots that a trail begins to take shape.
The western view just prior to the final scramble to the ridge. 

The exploring is not easy, there is always a lot falling, time being lost, time crawling on the ground hoping most of mother nature is away sleeping for the winter.  Does it sounds like fun? Well come join my sometime, I always enjoy the company in the woods!

Want to see where I was exploring...here is my Strava route.

The fruit crawling in the woods,

Thomas


The Eastern View once reaching the ridge trail. 


The existing ridge trail about 1.5 miles south of the overlook. 




No comments:

Post a Comment