Thursday, July 17, 2014

One of Wootten's favorite things about mountain biking: getting creative.

One of my favorite skills is creative problem solving, especially when I can apply it to bike repair.  Preparedness is a must for all trailside fixes.  The biggest tool in your repair kit (and for that matter your first aid kit) is your ability to react resourcefully with what you have.  

Today on a quick ride at the Western Slope of Massanutten, I was provided the opportunity to get creative.  While riding up to the pond with Fflur, my rear tire slipped sideways and began to hiss.  I hopped off my bike, located the hole and immediately stopped the leak with my thumb.  The plug in my tubeless tire had partially pulled out and was leaking like a stuck pig.

I was then faced with digging through my bag, one-handed only to find that I had neither plug installation tool nor fresh plugs to install.   What to do?  I really didn't want to get all slimy putting in a tube. 


I had a multi-tool, nothing on it would help.  I had a tire lever, not the right tool.  I had my keys: BINGO!  I took the dangling plug and folded it over the hole.  To keep from loosing any more pressurebeneath my thumb and kept pressure on the hole.  I sandwiched my keys over the dangler and shoved the plug back into the hole.  It kept pressure, I pumped it back up and finished my ride.        

FYI, these plugs are a great addition to your trail tool kit.  You can fix a tubeless leak without even taking your wheel off your bike.  Come pick up a set and be the hero on your next ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment