Friday, October 3, 2014

My first Grand Fondo

Descending Route 33..Photo Joe Foley Photography
Even though the Alpine Loop Grand Fondo has been going on for several years, this past Sunday's event was my first as a riding participant. Knowing that the SBC aid station at Brandywine was in great hands with Collin, David and Sam running the show (with Tim & Berry's help during moto support) I elected to ride the medium route, 78 miles of beautiful fall paved roads. The Fondo ride is the only time you will have the opportunity to experience rolling out of Harrisonburg with 500 two wheel lovers, the ride is worth is just so you can enjoy this energy.

A few miles in...Photo: Joe Foley Photography
My goal with the ride? Get to the mountains with the main pack (1) , ride with new smiling faces (2) and not feel like a total piece of jello (3)  when it was my turn to chase the high energy duo of Ethan (5) and Carter (3) in the afternoon. With a little digging deep just west of Rawley Springs I was able to acheive goal #1 and stuck with the first group of a 150  riders or so. Staying with the pack would hopefully help me achieve my last goal of not "Slummin" out later. This would only be achieved if I kept the cranks spinning up the 4 mile climb to our favorites neighbor, West by God Virginia.

That PULP girl know how to dig keep!! Photo Joe Foley Photography
Climbing Route 33 with hundreds of riders scattered along the edge of mountain, always a rider with in a few feet, is the closest most of us will get to a grand tour mountain stage feel. The descent down the west side with fall colors popping like a fresh roll of Starburst was beautiful and peaceful. Rolling into a well stocked and organized aid station run by your friends, is life saving!! Shortly after the Brandywine aid station I had to hold on tight. My bike wanted to turn on the Grando Fondo Route but my body knew to stay straight on the Shenandoah Mountain Adventure Route. Staying straight on the rolling roads near Sugar Grove, WV was the most peaceful time I have had on my road bike in years. Not ONE car pass me for the ten miles, just riders heading for the next major ascent of our ride.

The front pack..Photo Joe Foley Photography
I have ridden the west side of Briery Branch Gap many times on my road bike,  but this was the first time feeling asphalt under my tires.  The difference between loose dirt and pavement on this climb was the difference of achieving goal #2 or not, the Jello or the slum never arose it's ugly head.

As the route got closer and closer to the burg and civilization, my legs began to feel stronger and stronger. This energy buzz seems to happen as one achieves their goal of finishing a hard event, an event with such positive energy!

The Grand Fondo is here to stay, just like so many of the other Harrisonburg great cycling events. One year I hope to do it with all four of the Jenkins clan, a future Grand Fondo goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment