Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pump Track Saturday

   Before I start this post, I want to take a few seconds to introduce my self as 'the new guy' in the shop. I moved to Harrisonburg four years ago to start my education at James Madison University. It didn't take me long to become a regular face, maybe even nuisance in the shop consistently asking for advice, purchasing parts and donning anything that had the SBC logo on it. Someone needs to keep me away from the nearest tattoo parlor.......

   I've deemed myself somewhat of the campus rep for the shop over the past four years and am humbled to do so. All of this finally came to fruition a little over a month ago when Tim (Papi) Richardson came to me with an opportunity for employment. It was a no brainer and truly a blessing to be adopted into a such a wonderful business, and better yet, a welcoming family.

   Saturday, following a steady day at the shop, David Lee took me out to the Hillandale pump track for the first time.
Jason Williams built the frame. Lee pieced this bike together. 
   It was a part of the park that I had never explored before and in the midst of a beautiful spring afternoon, we traded off turns on the bike making laps. Lee was obviously much faster than I, but the experience definitely sucked me in to this facet of Hillandale.

Lee graciously chased down the ice cream man and bought us pop ups, remember those?!
   Nothing caps off a Saturday in the sun like some cool ice cream and peacefulness in the woods.

Lee got a few laps on a local family's motorized dirt bike!
   The outing was capped off with a small ride through JMU's campus as we parked it on a bench near Gibbons Hall to talk bikes and life. I'm learning a lot here and I love to learn. My skills and knowledge will only grow exponentially from here and for that I am eternally thankful.

-Stephen Proffitt

No comments:

Post a Comment