Monday, May 11, 2015

Full Pull on the Massanutten Ridge

Looking Wheelie cool above US 211 
On Saturday evening I was trying to decide what big ride I was going to do on Sunday. After several long road ride weekends I decided it was time to get out on the mountain bike and try to get my rock skills polished up again. After a half-hearted attempt to find someone to ride with I decided that I would ride the "Full Pull" of the Massanutten East ridge, one of the best "from your door" rides imaginable. Then at 9:30 in the evening I, after only learning about the ride a half hour prior, Sam Skidmore texted me that he wanted in on what was to be my solo mission. Never one to turn down company, especially when that company is a blast to ride with, I told Sam that we would leave Campbell St. at 5:30am and finish at Buzzard Rocks before dark.

Top of Veach Gap and looking out at Shenandoah National Park and the South Fork of the Shenandoah River below
Most entertaining to me was that Sam had never ridden the "full pull" in fact, he had rarely (other than the Tour de Burg) ridden his mountain bike for so long and so far. Nevertheless, he wasn't worried and neither was I. Turned out that Sam did better than I think he even expected. We finished in record time with several hours of daylight to spare. This ride has become somewhat of an annual tradition for me, typically I ride it on my birthday but hopefully this will be the year that I pull it off twice. I have many great memories of this ride, from the first time I ever rode it with Mike Carpenter and Pat Miller to the countless other friends who I have been able to enjoy the experience with. From Chris Scott, to Collin Vento, Kurt Rosenberger, Matt Smith, Ian Beckner, Nate Shearer, Sue Haywood, Jimmy McMillan, Jennifer Wolfson, Jake Brown, and many more. It is a special ride on amazingly beautiful terrain.

The end of the ridge and the end of the ride. Buzzard rocks and looking out through the northern opening of Fort Valley into the Shenandoah Valley beyond and Winchester in the distance.
The ride looked something like this.
It doesn't get much better than all day cruising along one of the most beautiful, engaging and challenging ridge lines around. The ease and casual nature of the ride has me dreaming about another attempt of the Ring or maybe even trying the lollipop. Or maybe buying a house and getting married is enough for this year and I will be happy with another full pull in the fall?

Rolling from town to the Western Slope a little after 6am

Kaylors Knob is only the beginning for this ride

Taking phone calls up on the bird knob rock overlook and the Shenandoah Valley below

We even had time to joy ride out to the Massanutten Storybook trail (Strickler Knob in the distance)

Tim and Chris C. Helped us out with a crucial food and drink drop up near the Kennedy Peak trail. Lifesaver!

Sam already knew how to ride the rocks. ALL of the rocks.

Post ride dinner at Jaliscos in Strasburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment