Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Michaux Maximus

Kelly and I left Harrisonburg at 4:45 a.m. Sunday morning to drive to Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania for the first race of the Volvo Endurance Series. This race, the Michaux Maximus, was the "easiest" of the three-race series, each race being around 30 miles long. I had heard mixed reports of Michaux riding, and want to give credit to all who told me it was super gnarly. I should've known that legend Mike Carpenter's opinion ("it's like Massanutten, you'll be fine") meant the trails were comparable to the northern parts of Massanutten mountain, not the Western Slopes. Either way, I was excited to ride somewhere different and challenging. The rocks were very real, and there was a lot of great trail/fire road variety. Skill levels were tested to the max(imus), and I finished with destroyed arm and back muscles. But throughout the day, despite the venturing into my deepest of pain caves, I found myself laughing and smiling, meeting new friends, and loving every second.


Results for 1-7 of 8 ladies

Kelly rolling in strong to the finish!
There were three chutes for the three distances of races.
Stocked prize table.

No comments:

Post a Comment