Friday, August 14, 2015

The Ride of a Lifetime!

Whether it’s due to my recent birthday, or college graduation , I have been finding myself reflecting on life, where its been and where it’s headed in the years to come.

Yes, its hard to believe but my style has always been top model worthy.

Riding bikes (or being chauffeured around by one) has always been an integral part of my life. Taking bike trips to the local 7-Eleven for Slurpees was always a summertime favorite!


New bike days are the best days! 

Rolling! I received this beautiful 12 inch bike for my third birthday and had to ride ASAP. There was no time to change before taking it out for a test ride, dresses do not slow me down!




Racing at our local BMX track in New Jersey!
Before I was allowed to race at our local BMX track, Central Jersey BMX, I had to pass my parents rigorous cycling test. This riding assessment tested my strength, endurance and will-power by requiring me to ride three laps around the neighborhood and climb a hill that has a 40 foot elevation change. This was to be done non-stop and unsupported. Luckily, I pulled through and was racing on my new 16 inch bike at the age of 5.

Luckily we weren't in the same age class every year so I had a few opportunities to get 1st place.

While difficult to admit, I spent most of my early days as a cyclist trying to keep up with my siblings. They could always ride faster and jump higher. My brothers pushed me to face my fears in the air on their questionable homemade ramps, and my sisters were my biggest competition on the race track. Any time I approached my brothers, needing advice on technical riding, their answer was "pedal faster and you'll make it!"
 Yes, those are awesome wheels on my first full suspension bike!


My bikes and I made the move to Harrisonburg, VA in the spring of 2009 to attend James Madison University. I quickly made new friends in the bike community through group rides and began improving my skills as a mountain bike rider. Riding bikes in the Shenandoah Valley has provided some of the best bike riding experiences of my life and I know there will be more great adventures to come. There is nothing better than riding in the valley with great friends.

Monday ride at Massanutten!

Over the past few years I have changed residences, degree programs and career paths many times. I am not sure where life will take me from here, but I know it will be a great ride.

Taking a break on our first ride at Big Schloss, 

No comments:

Post a Comment