Monday, October 12, 2015

Idiots Guide to BikePacking

I can't believe it has taken me this long to try out bike camping.  I love to backpack, camp, and especially love to bike.  When you combine them all it is even more of a blast! On October 24, myself and some other wonderful people will be venturing out to Stokesville to try out our first bike camping experience.   I have done my research and made a gear list for anyone who is interested in going on a bike camping trip in the future. I am making this gear list for a two day and one night excursion for fall weather.  I would suggest anyone who is planning on going on a bike packing trip to use the Salsa's The Bikepacker's Guide  .  Everything from what to expect and the food to bring is in this handy dandy book.  Conveniently, we sell them here at SBC!

Bike packing Gear List 
Bike Gear
  • Helmet
  • Sunglasses
  • Bicycle lights (I prefer the rechargeable ones) 
  • Bike shoes (Shoes that will be comfortable walking in as well) 
  • 4 Liter Camel Pack
  • 48 oz. Nalgene
  • 2 24 oz. water bottles
  • Muli-tool
  • 2 extra tubes
  • Rain jacket 
  • Bike trailer 
Camp Gear 
  • Eno Hammock
  • Eno Tarp Cover
  • Sleeping bag
  • Camp shoes (burks, chacos, moccasins, whatever pleases thy foot.) 
  • Layers! (wool socks, wool long johns, nicely fitted cap of some sorts) 
  • First aid kit. 
  • My Handy Dandy Survival Pack ( jack knife, lighter, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and of course a deck of cards) Random but useful in any given circumstances. 
  • Head lamp
  • Dry bag
  • Jet Boil 
  • Pot 
  • Camping spork (You get the best of both worlds!) 
Food 
  • Instant coffee
  • Electrolyte drink packets
  • Spinach and cheese sandwichs 
  • Granola bars ( I enjoy making these babies homemade. ) 
  • Quinoa dinner (Fills you up and you can get creative with it!)
  • Smores! ( DUH)
Toiletries
  • Toothbrush and paste
  • Cleansing wipes (optional, the smell of the outdoors is the best deodorant.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment