Saturday, January 2, 2016

Ibis Ripley Review by Kyle

I must admit I was a skeptic. But really I am always a skeptic. After riding a 29er hard-tail for 5 plus years I had little interest in getting back on a full suspension bicycle. At least for the first few years of my 29er hard-tail, I was super excited to leave my old 26" full suspension behind (yes it had paddle shifters). I loved the simplicity of the hard-tail and how well the big wheels rolled over obstacles. The line I used for years at SBC was, "Twenty nine inch wheels don't make you a better rider but they do make your riding better." Inevitably, this means that eventually you do in fact become a better rider.

The confidence and momentum that the big wheels provide was an incredible feeling coming off of my 26" squishy bike. Over the years I had a number of Gary Fisher and Trek aluminum hardtail 29ers. Fro two years I even had an amazingly stiff and light Gary Fisher carbon 29er. Eventually, I jumped on the bigger and slacker bandwagon with the Trek Stache hard-tail before it was a plus bike. As the years passed, I started to think that the hard-tail wasn't what it once was. Certainly it wasn't doing my back any favors. As more and more of my friends and fellow riders made the switch from 26" wheels to 29" or 27.5" and were on more modern full suspension bikes I suddenly felt like I couldn't keep up through the rocks or on the downhills. Plus, it looked like they were having a whole lot more fun and taking less abuse when the trail got fast or rough.


So I went all in and took a big deep gulp of the Kool-aid and I am here to tell you that it is as sweet and as delicious as you may remember as a kid. I had a host of bike industry innovations to tryout as soon as I jumped on the Ibis Ripley not the least of which was the modern and exceptional frame design of the bike. Before I get to the bike itself, the very first improvements that I noticed were some of the very things that I was holding out against. For any number of reasons, I had resisted change and wrote it off as the industry trying to sell me things that I didn't need. I was quickly proved totally wrong and feel like my first few rides immediately validated the bike industry's progression.

First, wide handlebars are your friend. I had never ridden anything wider than a 690mm handle bar prior to the Ripley. I jumped onto the Ripley to a 740mm handlebar and while yes the width took a little getting accustomed to through the trees, it is worth its weight in gold on the downhills and even the climbs. I had a friend tell me before I got on the Ripely that if you aren't riding at least a 750mm bar then, "your bike shop doesn't love you" so good to see that 750 is now stock on many many new bicycles. I won't ever go back to narrow bars and I hope you won't either.

Second, short stems were always something I avoided for years my bike had a 110 or 120 stem on it. Well guess what I found when I jumped on the Ibis, a 70mm stem. While not super short it was a big change from what I had ridden. Turns out it matches up perfectly with the wide handlebars and is also now stock on many a mountain bike. Not only bike industry hype but also a better ride experience.

Third, dropper seat posts are a must. Ask anyone who has one and they will likely tell you that they are not sure how they rode their bikes without one. Before riding one I couldn't begin to fathom how much it would improve my riding. I think that I initially had a misconception that dropping the post was only for the steeps to make it easier to get my weight back over the rear wheel. Well it turns out that dropping the post even a little bit makes cornering way easier and lowers your center of gravity so that you are better able to weight the bike and steer with your hips and lower body rather than only the handlebars. If you haven't tried a dropper post yet then do yourself a favor and buy one ASAP. You won't EVER want to ride a mountain bike with a rigid post again. It just won't feel safe. Or as much fun.

As for the Ripley, I have to start with how good the bike looks. Ibis pays great attention to detail and always aims to produce aesthetically appealing bicycles. Whether it was the Mojo, Ripley, or the new HD3 I find all of the Ibis bikes to have clean lines and good looking curves. There is more tech in this bike than I can or will explain here. If you want to geek out on all the tech then look no further than the Ibis website: http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripley_29/

What I can tell you is that the design is unique, innovative, and a great pedaler in no small part thanks to the DW link. The eccentric pivot system consists of two small eccentrics, hidden inside the seat tube, which act as the suspension linkages. This means a short rear end for a quick and lively feel while keeping a lively rear suspension feel that never feels like it is sucking the pedaling power out of your legs.

I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time on the Ripley and found that it climbed better than my 29er hardtail. Not only did it feel faster in my head but I was quickly validated in the ever-so-important Strava KOM segments that I know you are all after. The Ripley was obviously faster downhill but it wasn't the pure speed that I appreciated most. It was the playfulness that I gained from the bike. The combination of big wheels, smart pedal-friendly squish, and a short rear end equals a really really good time that begs you to find every root, rock, bump and dirt ripple to try and get your wheels off the ground and look at how you may be able to setup for the next turn, move, or jump.

Any bike is the sum of its parts and I can't stress enough how impressed I am with wide handlebars, short stems, dropper seat posts and full suspension. Many of you have heard me tell you or others at SBC that, "the only reason not to buy a full suspension is price." That is it. Period. At least for the riding around Harrisonburg, you will have more fun, ride more stuff, ride more playfully and comfortably than on a hard-tail. That is if you aim to spend most of your time on the ruggedly beautiful single-track that we have in this area.

SBC has the Ripley in a medium and large for you to demo and stay tuned for a spring 2016 demo date out at Massanutten's Western Slope. Be sure to sign up for the SBC email list to be the first to know about and register for the demo day: http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/

As for me, I am still working with bikes but no longer at SBC. I am the new Safe Routes to School coordinator for Rockingham County Public Schools. My job is to grow and encourage biking and walking to and in the county schools. I am looking for any suggestions or comments that you might have to help achieve that goal. Feel free to email me if you have a connection with a Rockingham County School that we should explore. Lawrence.kyle.d@gmail.com

Finally, there are now TWO geometry versions of the Ripley available. You can watch the video below to see the differences. One is longer and slacker than the other.



No comments:

Post a Comment