Thursday, February 13, 2014

It's always in the last place you look...

12 January 2014
11:40PM - Former SBCer, Kurt Rosenberger, and I set out from Shenandoah Mountain Touring's home base, the sovereign nation of ChrisScottistan, for some snowy recreation. 
11:57PM - I snap the following picture and crack a joke about logging those hours for the blog, while Kurt attempts to maintain traction on an over-geared, skinny-tired bike in the background.
12:16AM - I slide on a similar hill climb and lay out on my belly twice trying to stand up.
12:29AM - "I'm going for it, Kurt!" 
12:38AM - I school bus Kurt home and return to my own dwelling. 
12:43AM - After peeling my wet layers, I notice a knife of some sentimental value is missing from the pocket of my jeans.
12:49AM - Back in my wet clothes - this time with empty pockets and little charge left in my lights, I head out to search warm with the knowledge that I can stop looking as soon as I find that for which I search. The wind picks up and roads plowed 15 minutes before are white again. This time feels less pleasant and the weather, less hospitable. 
12:58AM - I dig through the plow pile where I had gone for it 29 minutes earlier fooled again and again by black chunks of ice shed from the patrolling Bobcat's bucket.
1:11AM - I pedal to the site of my hill climb belly slide and fall some more -kicking and pushing snow in search. 
1:13AM - FOUND THE DAMN KNIFE! Cold. Aching brain freeze from headwind on the way home. 
1:46AM - I am dry and mostly warm. My toes and knees are finally back to a normal color. 

The reason your lost knife is always in the last place you look is because it is cold outside and you are tired and only a fool would continue looking for an item once it is found. And momma didn't raise no fool.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment