Saturday, February 22, 2014

Randonneuring Part 1

One of my favorite ways to see the world is from the saddle of a bike. Long multiple day camping trips are awesome if the time can be had. In the spring of 2012 I was living in New Hampshire and knew that my time there was limited. I would do my best to soak up as much of New England as possible in the time I had. 

I don't remember how I came across it, surely it was some late night Google fueled rabbit hole I had fallen into, but on the other side was the New England Randonneurs. Long story short. I joined and signed up for the 200K brevet in Vermont. What's a brevet? It was an awesome day on the bike. We rode all around Lake Champlain and through the surrounding farms and mountains. It was one of the longest rides I had ever been on and I was pretty pleased with myself. Since then I've completed a bunch of other brevets
Me after my first brevet. Sweet storm trooper kit. I was riding for the Imperial Guard at the time.

Here I am in a new part of the world again and it's getting to be brevet season.  The DC Randonneurs are the most local club. The grand plan as of now is to sign up for the 200K, 300K, and 400K rides. I think you should check it out. If you have never heard of this type of riding learn more about it HERE. Or stop by the shop and ask me about it, make sure you have some time though, I get really excited about this stuff.


2 comments:

  1. Matt,

    We met on the Super Bowl ride--I was wearing a DC Randonneurs jersey and we talked for a few minutes. I hope you can make some of the rides--they're all good ones on the schedule this year. It's a great club.

    See you,

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely remember you. Will you be at the early March 200k? That will be my first with the DCR. Hope to see you there...

    ReplyDelete